Monday, March 15, 2010

Tea Time Shower

This weekend I went to a friend’s baby shower. She loves tea, so her shower had an English High Tea theme. It was beautiful.

The food was all different types of finger sandwiches, scones with creamed honey butter, and cookies and truffles. It was all served on beautiful china trays and tiered stands. There were lovely china plates and of course tea served in cups and saucers.

I drove down Saturday morning to be there, a trip that would normally take 4.5-5 hours took me at least 5.5 hours because I had to stop and pee 4 times. Yes, FOUR times, which almost made me late. (And it is worth noting that I only had to stop twice on the return trip, of course, when I didn’t have a time issue.)

I could not believe how many people were there. I think there were at least 30 adults, not counting the four ladies who threw the shower and assorted children. And I think she spent about an hour or more just opening presents.

I was sitting next to a super fun lady, who if we lived closer I would really try to befriend. She was great. She just had a baby (I think about 9 months ago) and is older like me. We laughed the entire time and she gave me a bunch of tips, everything from what things to use with cloth diapers, to bedtime tips. She told me funny stories about things they did, which sounded like things I would have tried. It was just great.

There is one thing from the shower that will take note of, any children that need to be watched every second, will not go with me in the future or be invited to events that aren’t about them. Children’s birthday parties, fine; showers that are meant for an adult and their guests to enjoy, no. This one little girl, I have no idea how old she was but she was tiny and could walk when holding on to things, “walked” over to the area I was in and stepped on my purse. I didn’t notice this until she got taller and then I saw that she was standing on it. I didn’t think much of it at the time but later when I took my sunglasses out of my purse and they were broken I knew why. (She also cried and did things that kids of that age do when you are not paying attention to them every minute. Not her fault but still annoying.)

And yes, even though I like kids and understand that kids are kids, I still find it very annoying when parents don’t pay attention and the kids cause problems for others. I wanted to pick that girl up and hand her to her mother and say, here I think this is yours. If you don’t want to watch your kid at a party or event…don’t bring them. Hire a babysitter, lock them a closet, I don’t care, but don’t let them ruin my good time and expect me to understand just because I (will) have kids. If your kids can’t behave because you are not paying attention to them it is your fault and you should know better than to bring them out in public.

I did have a great time, enjoyed making a new friend and spending time with some great old ones.  10 hours in the car and 6 stops at rest areas was worth it.  :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment